Last Updated on February 20, 2023 by lukesguide
In the next few years, word prediction software and assistive technology are going to get a whole lot better. It may even be able to predict the words you’re thinking of before you even type them! So if you’re looking for a way to improve your productivity, or just want to make sure that your content is always error-free, then you’ll want to take advantage of word prediction technology.
We reviewed and ranked the top word prediction software of 2023 so that you can choose the best one for you!
Since launching in 2016, Lightkey has become a market leader in word prediction software.
The company’s vision for their writing assistive technology is for you to “type at the speed of your mind”
While word prediction software that suggests words while you type is not new technology (Google docs introduced its ‘Smart Compose’ writing tools a few years back), Lightkey claims to have more advanced tools that leave its much larger competitors Google and Microsoft in the dust.
- Native word prediction support for a wide variety of applications including MS Word, Google Chrome, MS Office, Gmail, WhatsApp Web, and more
- Trigger-based word prediction for all other programs
- AI powered word prediction
- Sound assistance when high-impact suggestions are available
Lightkey is perfect for struggling writers since it can be used across many platforms and can help with identifying the perfect next word for your content, grammar, and spelling. As you type, predicted words are shown in a slightly lighter font and you can press the ‘tab’ button to accept the words.
As far as assistive technology tools go, Lightkey’s integration into your favorite word processor, browser, email composer, etc is as seamless as it gets.
Lightkey’s high tech software will learn your typing patterns and can predict 18 words at a time, helping you compose your content faster. It is also great for picking up on misspelled words and correcting them fast, without the need to go back and fix them manually, which is very helpful.
Lightkey takes privacy and security very seriously and boasts Fortune 500 companies as some of their clients who trust Lightkey’s ability to keep their data safe.
From a security perspective, Lightkey adopts several organizational and technical measures to protect user data, including secure servers, firewalls, antivirus, and SSL encryption, access control, and internal security policies.
Lightkey offers three plans:
- Free – Save up to 1,000 keystrokes per month in MS Office, Chrome & Edge
- Pro – $39.95 for a 1-year license (billed annually) or $169.95 lifetime license (billed once) for unlimited keystrokes in MS Office, Chrome & Edge + advanced features
- Business – $59.95 for a 1-year license (billed annually) or $229.95 lifetime license (billed once) for all pro plan features + collective wisdom & team analytics
- Tons of integrations available
- Free word prediction plan
- Lifetime plans are great value
- Gets better with word suggestions and word prediction the more you use
- 30 day money back guarantee on paid plans
- Can take some getting used to if you haven’t used assistive technology for word prediction previously
Best for beginners
Linguix is a cross-platform product that was founded in 2018. Linguix is very flexible and can be used as a browser extension, web application, and through desktop and MS Office apps.
The great thing about Linguix is that not only does this word prediction software display word suggestions, help correct spelling and grammar but it also works in a way to make you a better writer in the process!
- Suggestions for common writing issues and corrections for grammar, spelling, punctuation, word choices, and writing style
- Lots of apps and extensions available
- Content templates feature
The online Linguix Editor has built in word prediction capabilities, is super easy to use, and has a beautiful, clean interface.
Alternatively, you can use the various Linguix extensions available and have instant word prediction and correction at your fingertips.
Linguix states that the security measures used to protect customer data include encryption, secure development best practices, secure network configuration, protected data transfer, etc.
Linguix offers three plans with a discount on the paid plans if you choose to pay annually:
- Free – Basic writing corrections
- Premium – $14.99 per user per month (billed monthly) or $8 per user per month (billed yearly). Check grammar on millions of websites, write faster, and enjoy advanced security
- Team – Custom pricing. Style guides, team management, shared documents & writing insights.
- Easy to use word prediction software
- Free word prediction plan
- Big emphasis on privacy and security with upgraded privacy/security features made available as organizations move up in plans
- Amazing help center resources with lots of ‘how to videos’
- Lots of apps and extensions are available
- When first signing into the free version, there is a push to sign you up for a paid plan before even using the tool which is a bit irritating
Much more than your typical word prediction software product, ProWritingAid assistive technology comes with a huge array of features to help improve your writing.
Founded in 2013, ProWritingAid has tested and tweaked its suite of assistive technology tools over the past decade with amazing results. ProWritingAid is an incredibly intuitive and easy-to-use word prediction software. We love this product because it teaches you to be a better writer! Aside from the built in word prediction that suggests words for inclusion in your content, there are several learning resources at your disposal to help improve your writing.
- Grammar, spelling, and readability improvements delivered in real-time
- Reports and data visualizations so you analyze your writing
- Tons of learning resources, including explanations, quizzes, and tutorial videos
- Built in thesaurus to help find the perfect words and give your writing context
- Huge amount of integrations including MS Word, Outlook, Google Docs, Scrivener, Open Office, and Final Draft plus browser extensions
There are way too many features to list them all here so check out ProWritingAid’s product page for more information about their word prediction software.
What we like most about ProWritingAid’s assistive technology when compared to other word prediction software is that it assists with word prediction in a very subtle way. ProWritingAid’s assistive technology doesn’t push word suggestions on you or alert you to writing issues with a constant barrage of pop-ups.
Instead, ProWritingTool ever so subtly, suggests words, and phrases and identifies errors by underscoring the section where word choices could be improved and allows the writer to hover over the text and review the ideas.
It is great to see that a focus on privacy and security is a consistent theme across word prediction software programs and ProWritingAid is no exception.
ProWritingAid’s homepage makes it clear that privacy and security are at the core of ProWritingAid’s technology.
ProWritingAid offers three payment options:
- Monthly – $20 per user per month (billed monthly).
- Yearly – $79 per year (works out to be $6.58 per month)
- Lifetime – $399 one-time payment, includes all updates
There is no free plan offered by ProWritingAid but there is an option to take a free trial. There are also a few ‘limited’ free tools you can access, such as the ‘grammar checker’.
- Big focus on education for making better writers and not just fixing mistakes
- Built in thesaurus
- Lots of integrations
- Helpful writing analytics
- Excellent support
- No free word prediction plan is available but there is a selection of free tools for personal use
Best for Enterprise
What can we say, Grammarly is probably the best known out of all of the assistive technology tools featured in this list.
Built in word prediction, spelling, grammar, phrases, language, and vocabulary features are just the beginning when it comes to Grammarly’s feature-rich word prediction software!
- Spelling, grammar, punctuation, and word choices checker
- Plagiarism detection
- Tone adjustments and fluency suggestions
- Style guide
- Writing analytics dashboard
Grammarly’s web app user interface is super clean, intuitive, and easy to navigate.
The various extensions are just as easy to use and make it simple to integrate Grammarly’s powerful AI assistive technology into your everyday writing apps. Assistive technology at its best!
Grammarly is a massive company and clearly understands the importance of privacy and security to its users.
Data security is also top of mind for Grammarly and the key aspects of its security measures are summarized on Grammarly’s standalone Security Page on its website.
YAC offers three plans:
- Free version – Basic writing suggestions
- Premium – starting at $12 per user per month (billed monthly)
- Business – starting at $15 per user per month (billed monthly) for teams of 3 to 149
- Huge emphasis on privacy and security
- Great free word prediction plan
- Lots of features at your fingertips
- Tons of integrations, including Windows, Mac, web browsers, iPhone/iPad, and more!
- Pricey when compared to some other tools but the extra features available may justify the price increase for you
Word prediction software are programs that use artificial intelligence to predict what words a user is going to type next. It is often used in conjunction with autocomplete software, which completes the word for the user after they start typing.
Word prediction software can be used to speed up the typing process or to make it easier for people with disabilities to type.
Who Uses Word Prediction Software?
Word prediction software is most commonly used by people who have difficulty typing, such as those with learning disabilities such as dyslexia or vision impairments. It is also used by people who want to increase their typing speed or improve their writing skills in the corporate world.
Some word prediction software programs are designed for specific purposes, such as medical transcription or legal transcription. Other programs are designed for general use.
How Word Prediction Software Works?
Word prediction software is a type of assistive technology that can be used to help those who have difficulty spelling, have learning disabilities, or anyone who often struggle with writer’s block.
Word prediction software works by analyzing the letters that have been typed and then predicting the word that the user is trying to spell. The predicted word is then displayed on the screen, typically in a drop-down menu.
The user can then select the correct word from the menu, or continue typing to see more predicted words. In some cases, the word prediction software may also include a text to speech feature, which can be used to hear the word that has been typed. This can be especially helpful for those who are not sure how to spell a word or have learning disabilities.
While word prediction software is not perfect, it can be a valuable tool for those who struggle with spelling or for those who are looking for any efficiencies they can gain when doing their job.
Word prediction software has come a long way in 2022 and may even be something that can read your mind and understand your thoughts in the not too distant future. But until then, we’ll have to rely on the current leaders in the field to help display word suggestions.
If you want to try out some of the top word prediction software for yourself, check out our list of reviews and comparisons above.
There you have it – the top 4 word prediction software programs!
We hope you have found this guide helpful. Hopefully, you leave us not only have a better idea of the top word prediction software programs on the market today but a better understanding of word prediction software in general.
What word prediction software programs have you used? Let us know in the comments below!